port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Georges Martin jrjsmrtn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:52:00 UTC 2020

> Le 5 août 2020 à 12:52, Lothar Haeger <lothar.haeger at gmx.net> a écrit :
>
> Even if MacPorts also provided closed source stuff it would still be your choice to install or not install it.

Problem is with dependencies on closed source packages where you have no choice.

If I use apt or dnf as part of a Linux distribution, or MacPorts as an add-in package manager to macOS, I know that I can rely on a consistent and compatible set of open source packages and their dependencies. If necessary, I know I can contribute, fix, upgrade or add to those packages.

If I use chocolatey on Windows or mas on macOS, I know they are more « command-line interface App Stores » than package managers, they have less dependencies to manage and consistency to ensure, I have less to no control on the building/packaging and... that’s ok.

If MacPorts starts to mix both approaches, I worry we may end up having (open source) packages depending on closed source, binary packages. And have less control on ensuring a consistent, compatible distribution.

Just my 2 euro cents... :-q