port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Lothar Haeger lothar.haeger at gmx.net
Wed Aug 5 13:12:13 UTC 2020

> Am 05.08.2020 um 14:52 schrieb Georges Martin <jrjsmrtn at gmail.com>:
>
> If MacPorts starts to mix both approaches, I worry we may end up having (open source) packages depending on closed source, binary packages. And have less control on ensuring a consistent, compatible distribution.

That's already the case e.g. with port that use one of the openjdk* ports as dependency. Also, basically all ports using portgroup java depend on a binary java distribution. I'd rather see the dependencies being part of the macports tree, so we can at least control versions and variants, than trying to keep the depending ports out of MP.

To minimize this risk, I guess Macports could exclude binary ports from being used as dependencies to other ports. As soon as such ports are reliably recognizable, that is. There should be a way to allow such dependencies on a port by port basis, though.