port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Aug 6 15:23:13 UTC 2020

> On 6 Aug 2020, at 10:10, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How about I float a suggestion? We could append "_binary" to the name. Otherwise leave the categories, notes, etc as they are now.

Could all of the “cask” ports be put in a second ports tree? Any source-based ports that wanted to depend on those would also need to go in that tree or at least couldn’t be in the source-only tree. The tree wouldn’t ship by default, or at least would have to be enabled (“uncommented”) in a config file.

The downside to this is that I could see it quickly becoming like the Fink “unstable” tree if something popular is only available as a “binary” and that or something that depends on it becomes popular.

Personally, I dislike the idea of a port name suffix, but an attribute that could be searched for is a good idea.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448