port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Thu Aug 6 20:26:48 UTC 2020

> 2) My impression is that developers of commercial software would, in many
> cases, NOT want a third party (like MacPorts) to be distributing their
> software.  From their perspective, a third party introduces considerably
> more risk that users may end up with maliciously altered software.  Can we
> not expect to get takedown notices from certain publishers?

At a university where I used to work as a systems administrator, they
managed software on their fleet of Macs using a combination of Munki and
Jenkins. This included commercial software, including such titles such as
Autodesk AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite (before it became Creative Cloud),
Microsoft Office (before it became 365), and EndNote.

There were never any takedown notices from any of the commercial
publishers. In fact, the central IT group that developed and maintained the
Munki+Jenkins framework was frequently in contact with the software
companies, and worked with them on how to better deploy their software
titles using the framework. Their discussions typically revolved around how
to push out the licenses together with the software installers during
installations and (sometimes) remote updates.

As far as I know, the companies never, ever complained about our usage of
Munki and Jenkins. The commercial companies are typically only worried
about whether or not a customer has purchased the correct number of
licenses from them to cover the number of seats. They don't care how the
customer goes about deploying their software (or in fact are willing to
help customers with figuring out ways to better deploy their software using
the customers' deployment frameworks).

In theory, proprietary software could be deployed using MacPorts as well. I
have in fact done this. Our department had research groups that purchased
some proprietary Mac software that happened to be fairly Unix-like in terms
of its installation process. My fellow Mac admin colleague and I set up a
local MacPorts server (maybe it would be considered a mirror?), and we
wrote our own portfile for this proprietary software. We even contacted the
company to troubleshoot how we could make sure that our port contacted the
software's license server (which we set up on a different machine than our
local MacPorts server) during the installation process. The company never
complained about our using MacPorts to deploy their software. Their support
engineers even commented about how "awesome" and innovative it was that we
were using MacPorts to deploy commercial software. They thought that
MacPorts could only be used to deploy open source software.

--
Jason Liu