port "cask" -- installing prebuilt binaries

Herby G herby.gillot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 21:34:48 UTC 2020

> If we decide to go ahead with this, and if we decide to primarily use a
category to mark these, we will need a plan for how to manage a name
collision conflict when there are two ports that install the same software,
one by building from source (on newer systems) and one by installing a
binary (on older systems).

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think that question is answered by what is
our current policy today for that?

We are discussing ports just like any other, they just have an additional
category ("binary" or "binary_only").

The question of conflict could still arise even if I were discussing two
other ports, one in the "sysutils" category, and one in the "net" category.

This does not introduce any new mechanism or concept that does not already
currently exist in MacPorts.