Google Magenta Portfiles Help Request for new py-note-seq port

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Sat Jul 4 20:35:55 UTC 2020

> > pypi has a version of 0.0.0, but the github repo has no official version
>> number or even tags, and it’s not clear which commit the pypi version has
>> used.
>>

> If upstream doesn't have a useful version number, you need to make one up.
> It should monotonically increase over time. It should change
> whenever the upstream source code you are installing from changes.

For ports I've submitted which don't have any version numbering in the
project's GitHub repo, I've been using the date of the commit as the
version number in the portfile... but don't try to use the GitHub commit
hash, since that is not a monotonically increasing number. So, for example,
if I submitted a port for a project's commit that occurred today, the
version number would be 20200704. Some of the MacPorts devs have indicated
to me that this date-based version number shouldn't be separated using
dashes or dots; it should just look like a single integer. Also, don't
include the commit's time in the version number string, only the date.

--
Jason Liu