Google Magenta Portfiles Help Request for new py-note-seq port

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jul 4 17:49:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-7-5 01:20 , Steven Smith wrote:
> Re: versioning, here’s the situation:
>
> pypi has a version of 0.0.0, but the github repo has no official version number or even tags, and it’s not clear which commit the pypi version has used.
>
> I prefer to build from a github repo because it contains tests and other useful things that the pypi distribution doesn’t have.
>
> In this situation, I specified the commit hash, set the version to be consistent with pypi’s, and set the revision to be the github commit date.
>
> Is there another preferred way in this situation?

If upstream doesn't have a useful version number, you need to make one
up. It should monotonically increase over time. It should change
whenever the upstream source code you are installing from changes.

Revision is a property of the port, not the upstream sources. It should
start at 0 with each new upstream version, and increment whenever you
make changes to the port that change the installed files, while still
using the same upstream version.

- Josh