Call for designers for our ports website

Arjun Salyan arjun at macports.org
Sat Jun 13 02:18:02 UTC 2020

Hi Clemens,

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 4:46 AM Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> Please keep in mind that we do value URL stability. Specifically, I've
> recently added redirects so that our old ports.php script will now
> redirect the various links that are out there on upstream websites to
> ports.macports.org, preserving the search terms where possible:
>   https://github.com/macports/macports-www/pull/20

Oh, wow. Thank you for this information.

> It would be appreciated if we could keep the existing URL structure for
> ports.macports.org and not yet change it again, but it seems your
> changes have modified it.

While setting the URLs initially I wasn't sure that we would be using the
subdomain (ports.macports.org), so I had appended every URL with an extra
term (port or ports). For example, the category page is located at
'/ports/category/<category> [1]. I saw this as an opportunity to drop that
extra "ports/" from the URL and use just '/category/<category>' [2] (I just
realised that I was using plural categories till now). If this is not a
good idea and is discouraged, we can switch back to the old URLs.

'/search' [3] is a new page with the addition of multiple new filters
(compared to just 2 now). This asks for a change to the [case 'library]
redirect. If we do not want that too, I can try to accommodate it.

Thank you

[1] https://ports.macports.org/ports/category/perl/
[2] http://macports.silentfox.tech/category/perl
[3] http://macports.silentfox.tech/search/