randomly bumping things to require perl 5.30 vs 5.28 requires everyone to have both installed ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 03:20:50 UTC 2020

I've just realized this discussion has been to the old list address from macosforge. Please always use the new list addresses at lists.macports.org.

On Jun 22, 2020, at 14:34, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> We should just have one perl5 port that tracks the current release.

You say this every year (or at least often).

Are you volunteering to be the one to ensure that every port that uses perl is compatible with the new perl release when it comes out? Without someone to do that, blindly upgrading everything from say perl 5.28 to 5.30 will likely break ports.

Do you remember perl 5.26? It broke a lot of ports, requiring a lot of fixes like this to be added: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/454eb2b0608266ab7bdf51a82d690be0f97610fe

The strategy currently being employed by those volunteers who are maintaining the perl ports is to keep everything defaulted to 5.28 for now, add 5.30 ports and fix problems in them as they're found, and once everything is building then switch the default to 5.30. This seems sensible to me.