randomly bumping things to require perl 5.30 vs 5.28 requires everyone to have both installed ...

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Tue Jun 23 04:00:35 UTC 2020

Would it be possible to sort of split the difference? i.e. not _just_ have
one single perl5 port and get rid of all the individual point releases, but
rather to add perl5 as a sort of "metapackage" that is essentially the same
as perl5.30. I guess metapackage isn't the right word, either. In reality
more like, it's the same package as perl5.30, but simply with a more
generic name that maps to whatever specific release has been blessed as the
MacPorts default perl. So, these ports would all exist:

   - perl5 <= the "metapackage", and is actually the same port as perl5.30,
   perl5.32, or whatever is deemed to be the current MacPorts default perl.
   - perl5.30
   - perl5.28
   - perl5.26
   - ...

So if a particular port is okay with blindly using a version of perl that
tracks with the latest MacPorts default perl, they can use perl5. If a port
breaks when the MacPorts default perl gets changed, then the port could
still revert back to specifying a specific version of perl, by simply
changing the perl5 to perl5.28.

--
Jason Liu