Request for Information : GSoC 2020 Aspirant

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Thu Mar 19 07:06:20 UTC 2020

Hi Saptarshi,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM SAPTARSHI MUKHERJEE
<saptarshim at iitbhilai.ac.in> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Ma'am,
>
> I shortly started voyaging through the documentation on MacPorts, which seemed quite interesting to me. I'm Saptarshi Mukherjee, a 3rd Year Undergraduate at IIT Bhilai in Computer Science and Engineering, and an enthusiast to contribute to MacPorts in GSoC 2020.

Welcome to The MacPorts Project!

> In the first place, I'm absolutely new to tcl and am feeling a need to know the language so as to have a clear understanding of the open-source codes. Having confessed that, I'd however add that I've looked at some files, acquired some overview, and then read some info about the issue concerning "port reclaim". Having got some understanding of the current requirement in that context, I hereby express my interest to contribute to that issue. I could perceive the need to retain the build-related ports which are currently being overlooked by the reclaim.tcl code, when checking for leaves. Apart from that, the task of "Improving the Command Line UX" was also interesting and seized my attention to try my hands on.

You may also look at our introductory video on code base[1] for some
more insights.

> Considering the fact that time is quite short with only 9-10 days remaining for the application, I'd sincerely request for some directions on how I should get going; whether I should read about tcl and revert with a concrete understanding of the code, or I should try crafting and suggesting innovative solutions (related to known data structures and relevant architectural models) and pseudo-codes for implementations of the aforementioned tasks. Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

If you already have a good understanding of the code and have ideas,
feel free to already draft the application and submit in the portal,
in this way you can get early feedback from the (potential) mentors.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qshiDskrM

--
Jackson Isaac