make xorg-server a dependency of x11 ports?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed May 20 14:55:43 UTC 2020

On 20/05/2020 15.30, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Should xorg-server should be made a dependency of some key x11 component, so
> that when people install an x11 application, xorg-server installs and it
> actually works for them “out-of-the-box”.

I doubt even with the dependency it will not work "out of the box" as expected,
because installing xorg-server requires a logout/login cycle to get the updated
launchd environment as documented in the port notes of xinit. Hiding the
installation of the X server may cause people to also overlook this essential step.

Rainer