make xorg-server a dependency of x11 ports?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 20 15:07:27 UTC 2020

> On 20 May 2020, at 3:55 pm, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 20/05/2020 15.30, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> Should xorg-server should be made a dependency of some key x11 component, so
>> that when people install an x11 application, xorg-server installs and it
>> actually works for them “out-of-the-box”.
>
> I doubt even with the dependency it will not work "out of the box" as expected,
> because installing xorg-server requires a logout/login cycle to get the updated
> launchd environment as documented in the port notes of xinit. Hiding the
> installation of the X server may cause people to also overlook this essential step.

Yes, that is required, but port notes will be printed at the end of the installation explaining to the user they need to do this. Hopefully at least some users will see this an do this step. It is stil, I would say, better than just failing later on with a much more cryptic error message, as Ken points out, when the users tries to start the application.

Chris