FYI -- Parallels 16 now supports BigSur as a VM on older systems

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:33:40 UTC 2020

> h, apologies — after a while, the installation in the end failed, I’m afraid. I was a bit too trusting of the literature and initial installation steps.
>
> Ken

> > Like Catalina, Parallels will install BigSur as a VM even on older systems.
> >
> > https://kb.parallels.com/en/125105 <https://kb.parallels.com/en/125105>
> >
> > for those of you who might have parallels but no current system to run BigSur
> >
> > Ken

So another update on this — it now does indeed work just fine to install BigSur in a Parallels VM.

Even on (at least some) systems that don’t officially support BigSur — like this MacPro 2010 super-machine I have had for some years now, that runs everything from 10.4 to 11.0.

So now I can work out my own BigSur build failures.

Ken