ACTION REQUIRED: Set your SMTP password

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 18 04:17:29 UTC 2020

On Nov 17, 2020, at 21:37, Clemens Lang wrote:

> - Configure your mail client to send mail from your @macports.org
>   address as documented at
>   https://smtpselfservice.macports.org/settings.

Could you provide more guidance on how to do this in Apple's Mail.app on macOS, iOS, iPadOS?

Do we just edit our existing email account and add another SMTP server to the list and hope that Mail.app knows how to select the right one depending on the email address I select when I compose an email, or that it will fall back to the second SMTP server if the first one doesn't want to deliver the mail?

Or do we need to create an entirely new email account for the macports.org address, set that account to use that new SMTP server, and I don't know fill in garbage values for the incoming mail server portion?

The Settings screen of your web app says to use "encryption: STARTTLS and "authentication method: AUTH PLAIN" but Mail.app doesn't refer to such terms. There is an "Automatically manage connection settings" checkbox. Should that be sufficient? If not, what should we select?