[MacPorts] #61327: py-rpy2 build fails with clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 18 18:30:00 UTC 2020

On Oct 17, 2020, at 04:56, Ken Cunningham wrote:

>> It's correct that I would rather people didn't blacklist compilers that are capable of building a port. It wastes user and buildbot time and wears out the buildbot SSDs unnecessarily.
> Half (more?) of the tickets on MP are from trying to build port X with ancient xcode clang Y.

I don't know that it's that many.

> When those occur, the simple fix of bumping the compiler is generally criticized. An often complicated  project of rewriting the c++ to make old clangs happy then ensues...but I digress. I won't personally try to do those kinds of fixes any longer, if bumping the compiler fixes it.

That's fine. If a compiler cannot build a port, and you can fix it either by changing the code so that it works with that compiler or by blacklisting that compiler, that's fine. In simple cases I would rather see the code fixed, but either is fine.

But just to reiterate: I would rather people didn't blacklist compilers that are capable of building a port. I said this to confirm your previous statement, "Ryan has made it clear he does not want every build to be forced to a macports clang compiler". If /usr/bin/clang can build a port, there is no benefit to anyone in blacklisting it.