Factors determining binary archivability (GPL-compatible alternative?)

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Wed Sep 9 02:22:44 UTC 2020

Joshua Root (2020-09-09 00:34):
> On 2020-9-9 05:08 , Jason Liu wrote:
>> Does this mean that the Blender port is yet another victim of The Curse
>> of the OpenSSL License?

> Yes (though you could equally call it the Curse of the GPL, as both are
responsible).

An idea I haven't seen mentioned would be to migrate (L)GPL-licensed ports to using GnuTLS. Would that be a worthwhile effort, or has it been difficult enough just getting ports to build with OpenSSL/LibreSSL such that MacPorts would rather not have GnuTLS usage proliferate (and/or enough users don't want to install both OpenSSL and GnuTLS when one should suffice)?

Christopher A. Chavez