Factors determining binary archivability (GPL-compatible alternative?)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Sep 9 02:38:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-9-9 12:22 , Christopher Chavez wrote:
> Joshua Root (2020-09-09 00:34):
>> On 2020-9-9 05:08 , Jason Liu wrote:
>>> Does this mean that the Blender port is yet another victim of The Curse
>>> of the OpenSSL License?
>
>> Yes (though you could equally call it the Curse of the GPL, as both are
> responsible).
>
> An idea I haven't seen mentioned would be to migrate (L)GPL-licensed ports to using GnuTLS. Would that be a worthwhile effort, or has it been difficult enough just getting ports to build with OpenSSL/LibreSSL such that MacPorts would rather not have GnuTLS usage proliferate (and/or enough users don't want to install both OpenSSL and GnuTLS when one should suffice)?

Yes, using gnutls is fine if it works. It's not API-compatible with
openssl, so upstream usually has to have specifically added support.

A problem is that there are some libraries that use openssl and are
themselves depended on by many other ports, some of which are GPL'd and
some of which are under GPL-incompatible licenses.

- Josh