Travis CI timeouts for MacPorts builds

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Wed Sep 9 11:31:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 10:12:08PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 20:49, Zero King wrote:
>>
>> > I forgot why we never switched from Azure to GitHub Actions.
>>
>> Done in commit db7b40d8691e1fcd8b6be5e3c2a2a00a7ce0bdf4. We should
>> remove Travis CI and Azure Pipelines soon.
>
>Awesome, thank you very much!
>
>I'm just confused about one thing. The docs says that only 10.15 is supported:
>    https://docs.github.com/en/actions/reference/virtual-environments-for-github-hosted-runners
>while the github actions lists 10.14. Is the truth somewhere inbetween?

GitHub Actions and Azure Pipelines share the same infrastructure, so in
fact both 10.14 and 10.15 are supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/agents/hosted?view=azure-devops

I have disabled Travis failures, so PRs failing on Travis will not cause
errored checks anymore. macOS 10.15 is added to the Actions workflow,
and I will remove the Azure Pipelines integration if it is proven stable
and gets pastebin integration.

GitHub Actions can trigger webhook events, and go-github have added
support for Actions related APIs, so it should be easier to implement
the CI result comment with GitHub Actions than Azure Pipelines or
Travis.

However, GitHub Actions does not provide a list of IP addresses
AFAIK, so integration with paste.macports.org would be difficult. Maybe
I should just use the other pastebin and hardcode the URL into mpbot-ci
to avoid it being inherited in macports-ports forks, but that would
make paste.macports.org useless (at least for CI).

[1] https://docs.github.com/en/developers/webhooks-and-events/webhook-events-and-payloads#workflow_run
[2] https://github.com/google/go-github

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 10:42:57PM +0200, Clemens Lang wrote:
>> GitHub Actions' IPs should be added to the pastebin allowlist. Logs
>> are uploaded as artifacts, but they are zipped[1], so uploading to
>> paste.macports.org is still preferred.
>
>Is there a documented IP block used by GitHub Actions?

Unfortunately, I have not found any documentation about that in their
docs, but the Azure Pipelines docs did mention that they were
investigating options.

"Our Mac IP ranges are not included in the Azure IPs above, though we
are investigating options to publish these in the future."

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 10:51:31PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 22:43, Clemens Lang wrote:
>> >
>> > Done in commit db7b40d8691e1fcd8b6be5e3c2a2a00a7ce0bdf4. We should
>> > remove Travis CI and Azure Pipelines soon.
>>
>> I'm not sure this was a good choice. GitHub recently announced stricter
>> limits on CPU minutes available though GitHub actions.
>
>I was only aware of GitLab decreasing the limits. According to
>https://docs.github.com/en/github/setting-up-and-managing-billing-and-payments-on-github/about-billing-for-github-actions
>we have 200 free minutes per month? That's literally useless if true.

The 2,000 minutes limitation only applies to private repositories.

>(It's not clear to me whether Azure will stay free forever. We should
>probably be looking into setting up our own builders in the long run.)

That's true, but we need a volunteer and hardware resources.