License GPL-2 conflicts with OpenSSLException

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 17 02:09:04 UTC 2021

On Apr 16, 2021, at 20:21, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2021-4-17 11:16 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.15_x86_64-builder/builds/55652/steps/gather-archives/logs/stdio
>>> "hydrogen" is not distributable because its license "GPL-2" conflicts with license "OpenSSLException" of dependency "qt5-qtbase"
>> Does this make sense or is there an error in the script? Why would GPL-2 or anything conflict with OpenSSLException? It's just an exception. It lifts some restrictions imposed by the GPL. It shouldn't be imposing additional restrictions itself, should it?
>
> Implementation detail. OpenSSLException conflicts with everything except the OpenSSL license. If you see that, it means that all the other license options also conflicted (in this case, GPL-3 or LGPL-3).

Ok, right. So I would need to get info on qt5-qtbase in this case and see that it is licensed LGPL-3 or GPL-3 or OpenSSLException and realize that GPL-3 conflicts with GPL-2. Is there a way that the message could be improved to mention the conflict with GPL-3 instead? Does the license checking script check the licenses in the order in which they are specified in the portfile, or if not, could it do so?

And is this really true that a GPL-2 program like Hydrogen is not distributable if it links with a GPL-3 / LGPL-3 library like Qt5? The developers of Hydrogen must think that it is distributable, since they distribute binaries here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen/files/Hydrogen/1.0.0%20Binaries/