Publicizing MacPorts

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:45:26 UTC 2021

> "Champion" how?
>
> "MacPorts should be making [the case]" how?

The same way everyone else does: make noise, push news, promote, let the tech reporters know. Follow the Woody Allen rule for success.

If a comparable announcement to this was made for MacPorts, I missed it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/mac-utility-homebrew-finally-gets-native-apple-silicon-and-m1-support/

Mac utility Homebrew finally gets native Apple Silicon and M1 support
There aren't bottles for every package yet, but the work is in progress.

Popular Mac tool Homebrew has long been used by developers and others for package management on macOS, but as we lamented in our first M1 Mac review, it didn't support Apple Silicon when Apple's new Macs first launched late last year. Now, with the release of Homebrew 3.0.0, that's no longer the case: Homebrew now supports Apple Silicon natively, albeit not with every package.