Publicizing MacPorts

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:16:51 UTC 2021

> If you pledge to handle this kind of marketing, I would have no problem to hand out an @macports.org address for that.

Thank you for the confidence. There are posts I could and would write about the utility specific ports that are only available from MacPorts. But I’m honestly not the right person to get out the high-level, timely, and accurate announcements of the sort we’ve been discussing.

There’s been a few good ideas in this thread that stand out to include in a feed:
• High-level, timely, and accurate announcements, .e.g. “MacPorts supports the new Apple silicon M1”
• Blog posts about capabilities, e.g. “here’s a useful port you may want to know about,” or “here’s a useful port command.”
• Noteworthy and insightful statistics, e.g. total number of ports, total number of compiled binaries, total number supported on Apple silicon, total supported on Big Sur, total supported on Tiger, Big Ten list of popularity, the port with the longest dependency chain—stuff like that, reduced to a dashboard.
• Calls for MacPorts meetings, summer of code recruiting, and other calendar events.

> We have the news section on the website [1]. Posts can be submitted with pull requests to the corresponding repository [2]. At the moment, it is only in use for release announcements that are also posted on macports-announce [3].

Some feedback:

If the News section is intended to include other items like this listed above, then that must be made clear to the user community on this page and on GitHub. Right now, contributed content is the exclusive domain of the top MacPorts managers: https://github.com/macports/macports.github.io/commits/master

I looked at the README.md for [2], and honestly don’t have a clear idea of where to start to submit new content, either basic HTML or HTML plus images. I must launch a localhost jekyll server? This looks like a high hurdle. How would I contribute content about a specific port?