M1 CPU features

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 17:41:51 UTC 2021

> On 26 Apr 2021, at 6:28 pm, Jason Liu <jasonliu at umich.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks Arno :)
>
> I'm kind of surprised that the M1 doesn't seem to support any SSE or AVX....

Thats not at all surprising as those instruction sets are very much specific to X86_64 systems.

RISC processors, Arm, do have their own sets of SIMD instructions (e.g. Neon), but they are entirely different to those on X86_64 machines.

Whether or these are supported on Apple’s M1 processors I have no idea.

Chris