10.15 Xcode version: Buildbot, vs. GitHub CI

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Dec 12 13:51:39 UTC 2021

> On 2021-12-01-W, at 18:33, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2021, at 09:18, Christopher Nielsen wrote:
>>
>> * Would it be feasible to update our 10.15 buildbot to a newer Xcode release? Or are there certain ports/situations that necessitate remaining with 11.7?
>
> Because there are a variety of scenarios where a build fails if the OS version and SDK version are not the same, I deliberately keep Xcode versions on the buildbot machines* on the last version that contains the SDK version that matches the OS version. If Xcode 12 contains the macOS 10.15 SDK, I can update the 10.15 worker to it, otherwise I would not want to do that.
>
> I do have work in progress on a MacOSX.sdk port which should make it easier for ports to request any SDK on any OS. It is not committed yet.
>
> *there might be one case where I did update to a newer version; I'd have to review

I find the following very helpful, as it provides a succinct matrix relative to Xcode version vs. included macOS SDK:

https://xcodereleases.com/ <https://xcodereleases.com/>

The site also provides direct links to the readme for each Xcode release, allowing one to quickly verify that their info matches with Apple’s.

In any case, per that site (and Apple’s readmes), Xcode 12.0, 12.0.1, and 12.1 all ship with the macOS 10.15 SDK. So we can choose any one of those for the 10.15 buildbot.

Perhaps 12.1 might be a good choice, in terms of having the latest bug fixes, etc?