[10.6.8] Linux alternatives

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Mon Dec 20 02:32:26 UTC 2021

Jason Liu wrote:
>     One reason, I'm staying on 10.6.8 is that I really like Spaces. I'm
>     (primarily) using Remote Desktop to admin them as they are "head-less".
>

>     Another reason not going the Linux way is, that I find the macOS
>     desktop to be far superior to the Linux desktops.
>

> You might be surprised. There have been a lot of advancements in terms
> of Linux desktop polish, and you can even turn your entire desktop
> environment into an (almost) exact clone of macOS' behavior, including
> Exposé and Spaces, and even the application dock along the bottom.

I know that - & I've looked at eg Elementary OS which more-or-less looks
like an exact clone of macOS. I even installed it on an iMac5,1 for my
brothers grandchild. As far as could tell, that iMac would ever be able
to run macOS 10.8 (hacked) and as it should run as a normal computer it
had to be switched to Linux as 10.7 & 10.8 are hoplessly outdated
regarding browsers.

> If you've ever heard of Linus Tech Tips, they're even currently doing a
> multi-part video series on "daily computing and gaming on Linux by a
> couple of people who have never used Linux" challenge.

I've been following him & his staff on-and-off for years.
His vidoes on eg selfbuilt NAS systems are really good.
And that 4-part series where he installed a water-cooled Hackintosh in
an original cMacPro case is hilarious [rolf]

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa