"cask" ports just keep on rolling in...

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 02:22:45 UTC 2021

The idea of MacPorts is to manage installing inter-related libraries and executables.

But people want to use it to install prebuilt binaries as well, like homebrew does for cask installs.

MP has not decided if it will or will not accept these, but they just keep rolling in more and more anyway.

Installing them as "ports" is kinda silly, and wasteful, but simple, practical, and slides them in under the radar.

Having an actual plan for these would be better.

If software _can_ be built, we want to do it that way, so (IMHO) your work is not wasted.

We get many benefits, I believe, from building things ourselves.

Whether we do or don't accept binary "cask" installs ins not up to me -- but I'm just point out that they are coming in anyway so a plan would be good, esp for the multi-megabyte behemoths that are out there.

Ken