Help with old macOS on KVM?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 13 08:13:14 UTC 2021

On Feb 12, 2021, at 20:57, Ruben Di Battista wrote:

> Hello, I was exploring a bit how to build the CI system for old platforms and the first step was to virtualize old macOS version. I'd like to do it using KVM. I was following this: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM, but trying to install something like OSX 10.7, I can't go pass the OpenCore screen because apparently it can't find the installation media I tried to recover from a OSX 10.7 iso. So I guess that somehow I'm missing something on how to retrieve the right iso, dmg or img from the installation DVD.
>
> Does any of you ever virtualized old OSX systems on KVM?

I'm not familiar with KVM, but under VMware, Parallels, and VirtualBox, they seem to like having an "iso" disk image to boot from; maybe KVM is similar. A physical 10.4/10.5/10.6 DVD can easily be converted to an iso. For 10.7 and later, Apple does not ship macOS installers in iso form but they can be converted. There are a variety of instructions and scripts out there. I decided to create my own script:

https://github.com/ryandesign/createinstalliso

As far as I know it creates working isos for 10.7-10.12.