Xcode error with cmake build of grpc

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 02:07:44 UTC 2021

I am unable to build grpc on a specific machine because of some Xcode error:

> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework', needed by `libgpr.14.0.0.dylib'.  Stop.

The relevant versions are:

> macOS 10.15.7 19H114
> Xcode 12.3 12C33

This same Portfile builds grpc just fine on another 10.15 machine and indeed by the buildbot in this grpc PR: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/9729 .

This framework doesn’t exist on the machine,

> ls /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
> ls: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework: No such file or directory

But rather this framework exists:

> ls -d /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/

I’ve tried reinstalling the command line tools per https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist, and I’ve tried `sudo xcode-select -r`.

Any pointers to fix this local (?) issue would be appreciated.

Or is there some cmake directive that must be put in the Portfile to make this robust and find the framework that does exist?

Related: https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/24902