Can we enable CI for legacy systems?

Andrew Janke floss at apjanke.net
Mon Jan 25 07:48:20 UTC 2021

Hi Ken,

On 1/24/21 11:34 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> I try to fix build issues on old systems. The problem is that it’s very difficult to
>> do it since I need to merge blindly something and wait for the buildbots.
> If you would like to set up a VM or several to help do this, it is
> very easy, I found.
>
> I like Parallels, and it does VMs from 10.5 to BigSur on my 2010
> MacPro 5,1 running Mojave.
>
> I put them all on one 1TB SSD.
>
> All the systems from 10.7 to BigSur are available free from Apple, as
> are the Xcode setups, the documentation, and the command line tools.

How do you download the installers for Big Sur and for older versions of
macOS? I've always had to go through the App Store to download
installers, and what it makes available for me is dependent on the
current OS version and hardware of my Mac. And half the time, when I try
to create a new VM using an old version's installer, the installer
process tells me "This installer has been damaged" and refuses to
continue. (This happens on installer copies that had worked in the past.
I assume it's some sort of certificate problem.)

I ask because I've been trying to set up a VM-based build farm for
Octave and Octave.app (https://octave-app.org/) and not having much luck.

Cheers,
Andrew