Can we enable CI for legacy systems?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 25 16:10:36 UTC 2021

On Jan 25, 2021, at 10:02, Ruben Di Battista wrote:

> If I configured a server I own to run CI jobs for old systems (I was thinking about using a custom Gitlab runner libvirt https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/executors/custom_examples/libvirt.html for that and maybe), it's gonna be something useful that Macports could potentially use?

I'm not sure how comfortable we would be with running builds on other users' hardware, but if you can develop the software process for cloning a template VM, getting buildbot or whatever running on it, accepting a job from a GitHub PR notification, and so forth, then we could possibly deploy it on our hardware. We currently use VMware ESXi on our Intel hardware. We do not have a plan yet for what we would do with Apple Silicon hardware.

> PS: Does Github Action support custom "executors" to eventually run libvirt?

I can't answer that. I haven't looked into how the CI systems we use work.