Desolate Condition

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:03:58 UTC 2021

> Possibly relevant: I'm co-maintainer of Octave.app, a "native" Mac app distribution of GNU Octave (https://octave-app.org/). It's currently built on top of Homebrew.

MacPorts already creates a nice Octave.app now, fyi. If you installed MP into a custom prefix (/opt/octave, say) you could make an installer with almost zero further effort.

I have the current Octave working nicely all the way back to Tiger PPC. How's that for MacPorts' older systems support!

If you want a self-contained app bundle you would look at dylibbundler, or use your own script.

Tenfourfox is a browser for older systems based on FireFox, written using MacPorts tools and some custom parts, and bundled with a custom script.
Homebrew's current wine offerings are written with and bundled using MacPorts, and installed using homebrew's cask feature. (which kinda sucks as we don't have it in MacPorts, but that's another story).
Ken