perl and python version update

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jun 2 13:06:40 UTC 2021

On Jun 2, 2021, at 3:29 AM, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like a fine idea to me. Thing is, you actually don't want to be that current anyway.

In actual practice I don't think there's real benefit in waiting before upgrading to the newest released perl (I don't have as much practical experience with python, so maybe it's different for newly released python version).

> The priority is on everything working, not newest/coolest -- so if the designated perl or python is several years old, that is most likely perfect. Nothing we need it for needs this week's versions, or this year's.

Sure - but when things break because of a new version release, it's often easier to fix it right away rather than having to fix the last year's worth of changes in one batch (ie, do lots of small integrations rather than one big one).

I agree that the priority should be on just having one working version, though.

--
Daniel J. Luke