Octave port: website search results, 6.2.0, and Tablicious

Andrew Janke floss at apjanke.net
Tue Mar 9 09:18:09 UTC 2021

Hi, MacPorts maintainers,

First off, thanks for all your hard work!

Couple questions about your Octave port.

Octave 6.2.0 is out; released on Feb 20. Looking at
https://ports.macports.org/port/octave/summary, it seems like the
MacPorts port is still on 6.1.0. When can we expect it to update to
6.2.0? Anything I can do to help out with that process? I ask because we
just had a user ask on the octave-maintainers list about a
build-from-source issue with 6.2.0 from source on Mac in a MacPorts
environment, and I would really like to be able to tell them "just
install the official port!".

Question 2: When I go to https://ports.macports.org/ and type "octave"
in the "Search Ports" field, leaving the radio button on "Search by
port-name" and hit enter, it brings up results for all the octave-*
add-on packages, but not the octave port itself. What's up with that?

Question 3: I was going to ask you about getting my Tablicious package
in to MacPorts even though it's not an official Octave Forge package,
but oh, wow, it's already there!
https://ports.macports.org/port/octave-tablicious  – Is there anything I
can do as a package maintainer to make it easier to produce a quality
port here? And out of curiosity, how did you find Tablicious in the
first place? It's not exactly in common use (yet!).

The Homepage listed for Tablicious in its port description is incorrect.
It's not https://octave.sourceforge.io/tablicious/, because Tablicious
is not in Octave Forge (yet). The Homepage is currently just the GitHub
repo, https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious. (If a GitHub repo
isn't acceptable for this, let me know and I'll whip up a proper little
web site for it.)

Cheers,
Andrew