Port conflicts message: provide more info?

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Sun May 2 16:42:05 UTC 2021

Hi all,

When trying to install a conflicting (sub)port, here's the current error
message:

---> Computing dependencies for <subport2>
Error: Can't install <subport2> because conflicting ports are active:
<subport1>
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port <subport2> failed

Perhaps it would be useful to add some additional information to this error
message? Something like:

Error: Can't install <subport2> because conflicting ports are active:
<subport1>
Error: Either uninstall <subport1> before trying to install <subport2>,
Error: or deactivate <subport1> before trying to install <subport2> by
running
Error:     sudo port deactivate <subport1>
Error: If neither of these suggestions work, then
Error: please follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report
a bug.
Error: Processing of port <subport2> failed

What are everyones' thoughts? (I haven't personally run across a situation
where a port conflicts with more than one active port, so I'm not sure
whether the wording of my above suggestion is optimal.)

--
Jason Liu