Ports updated without maintainer notification?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 7 15:35:42 UTC 2021

> In addition, I have run a "port selfupdate" on my machine, and yet the MacPorts on my machine isn't seeing the new version of the port. Is something broken, either on my machine, or on GitHub?

If you aren’t already, I strongly recommend using a direct git clone of the ports tree rather than the default rsync’ed tarball. i.e.something like this in your sources.conf

~/Projects/MacPorts/ports > tail -3 /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

#rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
file:///Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports [default]

where the path above points to where ever you choose to git clone the ports repo.

Once you have done this, ‘port sync’ automatically updates this via a git rebase rather than the rsync tarball.

e.g.

Oberon ~/Projects/MacPorts/ports > port -d sync
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports
DEBUG: /opt/local/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
DEBUG: system -W /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports: /opt/local/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
Current branch master is up to date.
DEBUG: system: /opt/local/bin/portindex /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports
Creating port index in /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports

Total number of ports parsed:	0
Ports successfully parsed:	0
Ports failed:			0
Up-to-date ports skipped:	26290

the -d option is very useful here as you get to see the git rebase, tother with the portindex update.

If you do this regularly, and before submitting any PR’s, it is basically impossible  to ‘miss’ updates to any ports.

Chris