Ports updated without maintainer notification?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri May 7 16:43:15 UTC 2021

On 2021-5-8 02:02 , Jason Liu wrote:

>     If your ports are marked openmaintainer, that gives permission to
>     others to make minor modifications to your ports without notifying
>     you. Not all changes happen via PRs; some are committed directly to
>     master.
>

> Does this mean that it's okay to have ports with only myself as
> maintainer? When I started submitting my first ports around a year ago,
> I was told that I should always add openmaintainer in addition to myself.

Adding openmaintainer makes things easier with non-committer maintainers
in particular, which is why it's recommended to new maintainers, but
it's not required. If there's a good chance that someone not familiar
with the nuances of a port will inadvertently break something, then
openmaintainer is not the right choice. But you need to respond to
tickets and PRs within 3 days, or changes can be merged anyway under the
maintainer timeout rule.

Also note that openmaintainer is not carte blanche for others to make
whatever changes they want to your ports. Committers are expected to
apply good judgement when making changes to ports maintained by others,
and to take responsibility for fixing any problem introduced in doing
so. If a change is at all risky or there is any doubt as to the correct
approach, running it by the maintainer first is the right thing to do.

<https://guide.macports.org/#project.update-policies>

- Josh