Ports updated without maintainer notification?

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Sat May 8 19:48:28 UTC 2021

> Adding openmaintainer makes things easier with non-committer maintainers
> in particular, which is why it's recommended to new maintainers, but it's
> not required. If there's a good chance that someone not familiar with the
> nuances of a port will inadvertently break something, then openmaintainer
> is not the right choice.

As I said in the last message that I just sent, the risk of updating the
particular ports I mentioned are that they are dependencies for the blender
port, and might cause blender to fail. Every time I have updated those
libraries in the past, I have always made sure that the updated version
compiles against the blender port. Not only that, but I did run into one
instance where blender was compiling successfully against a newer version
of one of the libraries, but the Blender app was crashing during runtime
whenever I tried to render a project.

But you need to respond to tickets and PRs within 3 days, or changes can be
> merged anyway under the maintainer timeout rule.

Not usually a problem. Hopefully it's fairly evident that I've been pretty
active since I started submitting ports around a year ago.

Also note that openmaintainer is not carte blanche for others to make
> whatever changes they want to your ports.

That's why I was so confused when I suddenly realized that some of the
ports I maintain were updated to new versions, and I couldn't find any PRs
or Trac tickets referring to those changes. I had a moment of real panic,
because at that moment, I had no way of guaranteeing that my blender port
in the public ports tree wasn't suddenly broken.

--
Jason Liu