Becoming a legal entity and accepting donations (was: Re: Buildbot Performance)

Andrew Janke floss at apjanke.net
Tue May 18 01:14:09 UTC 2021

Software Freedom Conservancy exists largely to help FLOSS orgs do this
sort of thing safely and conveniently, while retaining independent
governance. I believe Homebrew had a good experience with them, and
Buildbot itself is a member. Was that one of the options considered when
this question came up before?

https://sfconservancy.org/

Amazon AWS supports FLOSS projects by providing free AWS Promotional
Credits to FLOSS projects. It looks like you could maybe use these to
buy mac1.metal EC2 instances, and that would give you full-machine root
access. But I dunno; those are expensive instances and the provisioning
level and conversion process seems a little complicated. The AWS
mac1.metal VMs are Intel-based, not Apple Silicon.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/aws-promotional-credits-open-source-projects/

I dunno how much credits Amazon would want to give you, but MacPorts is
a name with some pull, and Amazon has deep pockets. Couldn't hurt to ask?

Cheers,
Andrew