Homebrew Disables OSXFuse ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 21 05:33:07 UTC 2021

On May 17, 2021, at 21:00, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> On 5/17/21 19:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote
>>> In this instance, though, I think their reasoning is correct.
>> So you would like MacPorts to delete all ports that depend on osxfuse, and all ports that depend on those ports, and so on?
>>
>> Each of those ports was added to MacPorts because someone wanted it. What are they to do once we delete them?
>
> The FUSE implementation itself already has a binary installer (and indeed, we cannot build it from source since there are none), and so if one wants it, it's easy to install without our infrastructure.

As I said there are many ports in MacPorts that depend on fuse. Thus, we must offer fuse as a port in MacPorts if we want to continue to have those ports. MacPorts ports are not, as a rule, supposed to require the user to install other things outside of MacPorts.

> I've suggested elsewhere that it's a good idea to probably take the last open source version of FUSE for MacOS and figure out how to get it to work without needing a kernel extension given that those are on the way out.

If someone is interested in forking osxfuse/macfuse or any other software to improve it in a different direction from the original developer, that's their prerogative.