Homebrew Disables OSXFuse ports

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue May 18 02:00:03 UTC 2021

On 5/17/21 19:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote
>>> Meh. They have different priorities than we do. No reason for us to follow what they do.
>> In this instance, though, I think their reasoning is correct.
> So you would like MacPorts to delete all ports that depend on osxfuse, and all ports that depend on those ports, and so on?
>
> Each of those ports was added to MacPorts because someone wanted it. What are they to do once we delete them?

The FUSE implementation itself already has a binary installer (and
indeed, we cannot build it from source since there are none), and so if
one wants it, it's easy to install without our infrastructure.

I've suggested elsewhere that it's a good idea to probably take the last
open source version of FUSE for MacOS and figure out how to get it to
work without needing a kernel extension given that those are on the way out.

Anyway, this is just one person's opinion. I'm not going to yell very
loud if it stays, but it feels icky to me.

Perry