[MacPorts] #62993: mailutils: update to version 3.12 - building from command line but failing to build using macports

Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli ferdy at ferdy.it
Mon May 31 14:17:54 UTC 2021

	Ciao,

first of all, thank you very much for the prompt reply and quick solution.

since mailutils dropped python2 support starting version 3.10, i am now trying to update python version to 3.9 unfortunately without success.

before open another ticket (i trust i am supposed to open a brand new ticket, please correct should I be mistraken), i would like to take the change to understand better a bunch of things related to this port, but i believe more general as scope.

1. using trace mode, i have found out the port can be build without the listed building dependencies: coreutils, gawk, grep, gsed and m4.
is it correct to assume that macports tends to limit as much as possibile the number of dependencies? therefore i am supposed to comment out the depends_libs stanza?

2. the universal variant is still valid? or can i add the universal_variant no line in Portfile? what are the rationales behind the two choices?

3. i give for granted that --verbose e —disable-silent-rules are useful when creating/debugging the Portfile, but the final version should be without them. correct?

4. i get a huge amount of warning similar to the following: libtool: warning: '../lib/libmuaux.la <http://libmuaux.la/>' has not been installed in '/opt/mp/lib’
as far as i understood reading the sources, i guess this is bound to legacysupport-1.1 PG which by default instructs to do not use static. am i correct? am i supposed to let it be?

5. i would like to add +docs and +examples to allow the users to install docs, info and examples. where i can find documentation and/or useful ports i can use as examples?

6. while trying to configure python support i got the following warning (which eventually results in a failing build):

	Warning: The following file inside the MacPorts prefix not installed by a port was accessed:
	  /opt/mp/bin/python3-config

note: regarding python39 support, i am going to create a ticket with full information; to make it short: with port select python/python3 set to none, it does not configure with build support, with python/python3 both o singular selected as python39, port configure correctly sets python support but the build fails with the following error:

	ld: library not found for -lpython3.9
	make[3]: *** [libmu_py.la <http://libmu_py.la/>] Error 1

as always thank you very much for your help (and patience!), cheers,
—
ferdy