Help offered

Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli ferdy at ferdy.it
Tue Sep 7 10:01:57 UTC 2021

	ciao mojca and ciao michele (and welcome to macports)!

> On 7 Sep 2021, at 07:57, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Michele,
>
> On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 13:20, Michele Venturi wrote:
>>
>> What is a good way to start partecipate in your
>> project? I'd like to give you a hand regularly. 🙌
>
> Welcome to MacPorts and thanks a lot for your willingness to help the
> project grow.
>
> There are various ways to help, depending on your personal interests.
> I'll list just a few that come to my mind first:

<omissis>

> 3.) We have 20k+ ports. Many of them are outdated or broken and could
> use some love. What most people contribute to are updates to various
> ports that they personally care about.
> One of the special tasks that doesn't require almost any special
> knowledge and just takes a lot of time to do, would be migration of
> all ports that depend on perl from perl 5.28 to 5.34. Most of the time
> it's sufficient to just replace the version in all portfiles (and
> ideally, but not necessarily test whether the modified port still
> builds), but there are likely hundreds and any helping hand would be
> mostly welcome.

I can work on the migration from perl 5.28 to 5.34.

should michele fancy to start working on macports with this tasks, i can volunteer to do it together with him so i can support him in these first steps!

please be aware i am not a guru at all, but i can surely give michele an hand as general overview of the project and basic tasks (e.g. working with macports git)

> Mojca

best,
—
Giuseppe ‘ferdy’ Miceli