Help offered (macOS VMs)

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:56:15 UTC 2021

I find Parallels is also very good for macOS VMs.

I have a 24-core MacPro 5,1 with 32GB RAM that I mostly use for systems I don’t have as hardware, and have VMs set up in Parallels for MacOS 10.5 through BigSur. I usually give a dozen cores and 16GB of RAM to the VM when I’m working with it, but it runs with much less. They can be run headless in the background as well.

For emulating Tiger i386 I use VirtualBox. I give it 3GB of RAM and one core. In the past, with VirtualBox 5.x, I could use two cores, but with VB 6.x there is some regression and now Tiger will only run with one core otherwise kernel panic. Still, quick for Tiger, with a current fast processor. I also have Tiger i386 on hardware.

I have qemu installations of 10.4 PPC and 10.5 PPC, but they are just awfully slow; they can only use 1 emulated processor. If they could multicore up to 4 processors I might consider them usable, but that doesn’t work last time I tried it a year or so ago. For PPC work I just use one of my G5s; they are pretty quick and usably fast.