latest git version no longer detected by base

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 15:13:06 UTC 2022

> On 14 Apr 2022, at 11:16 pm, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 2022-4-14 23:56 , Christopher Jones wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Does anyone have any ideas on
>> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/053dbb666a57972ceefba10b1edd12f16d886fd4#commitcomment-71271508 <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/053dbb666a57972ceefba10b1edd12f16d886fd4#commitcomment-71271508>
>> something about the latest git port is causing it to no longer to properly detected and used by base..
>
> The git used by port sync is whatever is found by macports::findBinary: <https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/v2.7.2/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl#L2603>
>
> And that ends up calling binaryInPath, which simply looks for an executable file of the given name in each directory in PATH: <https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/v2.7.2/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl#L407>
>
> FWIW, my syncs still use /opt/local/bin/git after upgrading.

What OS is this ? For me the issue is happening on macOS 12.

The problem is completely reproducible. I can uninstall macports git and it starts working again with the system binary, and then reinstall macports version and it stops working again..

I think at some point I will have to probably just put some more verbose debug into base, to try and help figure out what exactly is happening there to cause it to fail to use macports git correctly.. my suspicion is its something to do with the checks performed at

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/5d637741b5ae04b63f7e99a9057c6764d29fd7fd/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl#L2613

That are no longer working correctly for some reason, leading to a null string being returned, which is the behaviour I see.

Chris