MacPorts custom installation prefix and precompiled binaries

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 12:57:27 UTC 2022

You can use any prefix you want, precompiled binaries or no. Just go ahead and do it.

It appears that you may be misinterpreting the docs. This page simply tells devs not to do stuff with installers that will conflict with existing files in /opt/local: https://guide.macports.org/#using.binaries.binary-packages

That doesn’t affect you as a user.