MacPorts custom installation prefix and precompiled binaries

Jordan Ellis Coppard jc+ml.macports+dev at wz.ht
Sun Aug 7 08:29:27 UTC 2022

Hello,

I read in the docs that if MacPorts is installed anywhere other than
/opt/local that precompiled binaries can not be used. I cannot find this
statement again so I am unsure if there was additional explanation for
why; so.. why?

I'd like to be able to use MacPorts at a custom prefix but still also
use precompiled binaries sometimes (particularly those using Rust) due
to the incredibly long compilation times.

/Jordan