Stack-Based Ports No Longer Building on ARM

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Aug 24 11:43:20 UTC 2022

On 2022-8-24 21:20 , Steven Smith wrote:
> I’ve observed on my M1 box that stack-based ports no longer build
> because of compiler issues with mixed architecture libraries, as more
> ports become native ARM. I’ve done enough troubleshooting (reinstalling
> CLT, Xcode, use_code=yes and so forth) to believe that this is a general
> problem—error messages are below.

Regarding the libunwind error you're seeing, this is because stack/alex
is linking with the libunwind in /opt/local/lib but doesn't declare a
dependency on the libunwind port. If a dependency were declared, the
port would be installed +universal when needed.

But I think a dependency is not appropriate because the system libunwind
is probably fine, as it is for most ports. The libunwind port installs
an older version which I think is intended to be used on systems that
are even older. I'm not sure if all the ports that do declare deps on
libunwind really need it, but I think it might be best to install
libunwind somewhere other than /opt/local/lib so that innocent
bystanders don't accidentally link with it.

- Josh