Upstream installation hint about MacPorts

Karl-Michael Schindler karl-michael.schindler at physik.uni-halle.de
Tue Feb 15 15:45:15 UTC 2022

Hi.

In order to promote MacPorts better, I think that port maintainers should check the upstream Installation/Download section of their port’s homepage. In many cases homebrew does a quite better job than MacPorts. I checked the MacPorts documentation, but could not find an obvious place, where such a hint to port maintainers would be good. I thought about the role and tasks of maintainers or the homepage keyword. But neither did fit nicely. Recommendations from anyone?

My idea about a related docs text is:

Port maintainers should check the Installation/Download sections on the homepage of their port and suggest upstream an according text clip about the installation suing MacPorts. If Homebrew is already mentioned, simply take that subsection as a template and include the MacPorts install command for your port.

A second point is the pull request submission checklist. My suggestion:

———
Have you
[] checked the Installation/Download sections of the port’s homepage for MacPorts being mentioned?
———

Regards

Karl-Michael Schindler, aka kamischi