/usr/bin/python will be removed in macOS 12.3!

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Mon Feb 21 21:27:56 UTC 2022

> On 21 Feb 2022, at 17:06, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Feb 19, 2022, at 11:06, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> But how does one (a) find out the dependency exists and (b) make sure the software finds python from MacPorts?
>
> General-purpose answers to either question are not possible. Each affected port will need to be investigated and fixed in its own unique way.
>
> /usr/bin/python might be used
>
> * directly by the Portfile specifying /usr/bin/python somewhere
> * in a patchfile that references /usr/bin/python explicitly
> * as a shebang line (e.g. "#!/usr/bin/python" or "#!/usr/bin/env python") in files used by the port at build time and/or installed by the port
> * by a build system that uses the first binary it finds named "python"
> * in unknowable other ways
>
> To tell the build system to use a particular python, one might need to
>
> * set the PYTHON environment variable at configure time -- this is accomplished by setting the configure.python option
> * specify some other configure environment variable or argument
> * patch files
> * do something else

For a test I was planning to adapt the migration approach. Save the ‘requested’ list. Uninstall all ports. Temporary mv /usr/bin/python out of the way. Build the requested list.

I can do this on a secondary system.

This would tell me at least that the ports I have installed all install without /usr/bin/python, which takes care of any build dependencies.

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A IT Strategy <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>