/usr/bin/python will be removed in macOS 12.3!

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Tue Feb 22 23:17:06 UTC 2022

> For a test I was planning to adapt the migration approach. Save the ‘requested’ list. Uninstall all ports. Temporary mv /usr/bin/python out of the way. Build the requested list.
>
> I can do this on a secondary system.
>
> This would tell me at least that the ports I have installed all install without /usr/bin/python, which takes care of any build dependencies.

I did try, but failed. I was able to turn off system integrity protection, but that still leaves me with a boot disk that is read-only, so temporarily moving /usr/bin/python out of the way did not work. I haven’t investigated going beyond simply disabling SIP.

So far, then, no success at trying to emulate the 12.3 macOS situation regarding python on macOS 12.2.1.